Personal Email Archives: Do They Amount To IT Malpractice?
With personal archiving, users are allowed to move data off the organization’s production servers and storage to a system-defined location that may include the user’s local machine. Trying to recover messages as part of an internal audit or litigation rapidly becomes a costly nightmare. All too often data simply cannot be found, or the organization runs the risk of losing critical information when PCs or laptops are refreshed.
Things to think about:
- Can you defend the effectiveness of your legal hold process?
- If personal archives are requested, do you have a process to enable production?
- For every Send, there is a Receive & what might opposing counsel have that you are not aware of?
- Are you capable of determining if you should settle before having invested too much time?
- Does your current setup provide the tools for effective legal strategy planning?