Guest Post by Grant Ho, Director Solutions Marketing, End User Computing
Here are seven ways application virtualization can assist with a successful Windows7 migration.
- No more application conflicts: Virtualized applications are packaged with app files, settings, runtimes and components so they run immediately and smoothly as if they were installed locally without conflicts.
- Fewer service desk calls and increased productivity: When apps are tested and run virtually, you can easily find out if there are OS conflicts and you can determine which OS platforms allow applications to run most efficiently.
- Time savings: Some application virtualization solutions include pre-configured templates that allow customers to virtualize and deploy apps in as little as 20 minutes.
- Cost savings: Application implementation time is reduced, saving testing, packaging and support time – a direct factor in cost savings via fewer support calls and IT staff hours.
- Variety of distribution channels: Application virtualization, because it’s virtual, can often take place via CD/DVD, thumb drive or via the Web without requiring additional servers or resources.
- Security, security, and more security: Virtualized applications can run without requiring access to file systems or registries. Now users can run the applications they need without putting their Operating System at risk.
- Virtual on virtual: When testing, it’s possible to run application virtualization on virtual machines so that you experience even more time savings. When performing subsequent tests, you can just use a snapshot of that machine instead of re-imaging an entire environment.
If you are interested in learning more about ways to reduce the pains of migrating to Windows7, we’re hosting a series of events this spring. Chances are we’re coming to your city and you can get firsthand view of real-world solutions.
How are you using application virtualization?