At times it would be nice to run the ZCM Image Explorer Utility on a workstation, a device that does not have all the other ZCM products installed.
You can run ZCM Image Explorer as a stand-alone application on any workstation that has java installed.
This could be very useful if your images are stored on a Linux box and you do have SMB access.
- Install Java JRE
- Install the Image Explorer MSI from the ZCM installation CD
- Create a simple batch file that launches the Image Explorer Java Utility
I downloaded and installed jre1.6.0_03 from JavaSoft.com, Just about any 1.5 or 1.6+ version should work.
- Install JRE into the default location, nothing special about this step.
- From the ZCM installation CD, browse to Disk1\InstData\msi, my CDROM drive letter was “d”.
- Install D:\Disk1\InstData\msi\novell-zenworks-zmgexplorer-10.0.0.msi
This install is EXTREMELY quick. You will think it failed. No prompts, no confirmation. You can check in Windows Event Viewer for a status.
The Installation puts all the image files in
I created a simple .bat file that launched the required java processes. Please note that a path statement must exist in the .bat file, otherwise you will get java exceptions.
- Create launchImgExp.bat
- Put the following information into the bat file.
“C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\javaw” -jar zmgexp.jar
!!!! That is a total of four lines !!!!
You may need to update the jre path accordingly and on my station it was not necessary to specify the whole path to javaw.exe
zmgexp.jar should exist in c:\Novell\ZENWorks\Lib\java, which is the main java executable for the Image Explorer Utility.