Novell Identity Manager 4 was the main product launch at BrainShare Amsterdam 2010. Novell characterizes this family of solutions as ‘intelligent, cloud-ready and secure,’ and manages identity and access across physical, virtual and cloud environments.
In our press conference yesterday, someone asked whether Identity Manager 4 is Identity Manager 3.6 with the word ‘cloud’ added, but it most certainly is not. James Ebzery, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Security, Management and Operating Platforms, made this very clear when asked by reporters during the press conference in Amsterdam.
“IDM 4’s reporting features are very advanced. We’ve taken the integration with other applications and systems to a whole new level. The new user interface is unrecognizably different and we think our customers will be impressed. Integrated roles, access to SaaS, advanced reporting – all geared to making it easier to demonstrate compliance. This is what our customers want and so this is what we have given them.”
The major changes:
- Advanced reporting features on current and historical provisioning activities, creating unmatched visibility into user access.
- Packaging of controls, role configuration etc.: the ability to easily allocate new rules to groups of users across applications. “The new User Interface is not just an upgrade, but a complete transformation,” says Jay Roxe, director Identity & Access Product Marketing.
- Enhanced scalability to push provisioning into the cloud, with options for tight integration with Microsoft SharePoint, SAP ERP systems and cloud applications including Salesforce.com and Google Apps.
- Integration of sophisticated roles management, advanced workflow capabilities and revolutionary reporting capabilities designed to meet the needs of the most advanced enterprise or managed service provider- as well as to support compliance needs.
- Industry leading tools for data cleansing, policy framework design and roles and entitlement definition that introduce simple, drag and drop functionality and eliminate the need for coding.
Identity Manager 4 is Intelligent as it allows for unmatched visibility into user access. The integrated framework can create both current and historical reports on provisioning activity, so customers can more easily meet compliance requirements with reports that show who provided access to whom and when.
IDM4 is Cloud-Ready as it offers the scalability and high-availability required of large-scale deployments by providing seamless, real-time user provisioning/deprovisioning, request/approval processes, password changes, identity profile updates and reporting.
IDM4 is Secure as it is uniquely architected for real-time response across multiple environments, which practically eliminates security holes due to delayed de-provisioning.