As many of you know about nine months ago I started working on a ZENworks Reporting Domain that can be used to allow ZENworks Reporting to generate adhoc reports and dashboards using data in the Micro Focus Service Desk Domain. Several customers and employees have provided valuable feedback as I refined this and I am pleased to make the initial versions of the domain available today. I apologize it has taken so long, but it’s been a busy time here at Micro Focus and with the number of objects to surface and the number of databases to support it has taken a bit of time.
This domain provides several hundred domain objects that surface data related to the following information in the Service Desk database:
- CMDB Items (Configuration). These objects let you report on categories, item types, and items. This includes all of the custom fields you’ve added.
- Requests (Incidents and Requests). These objects let you report about the attributes of Requests.
- Store. If you install the 18.104.22.168 version of the domain you can find objects related to store items and store templates. When joined with Requests you can limit the requests to those related to store items.
- Users and Teams. This allows you to do reporting on the Customers and Users in the System as well as their teams. This is an isolated data island that cannot be joined with other data, however important User and Team data can be found in the Configuration and Requests folders when you need to report against the owner of the item, reporter, technician, assigned team, etc.
I selected these items based on the requests I’ve had forwarded to me by customers. There’s lots of room for growth here so if you find that you can’t find something you want to report on, please send me an email @ email@example.com and I’ll do my best to get it added as time permits.
To install the Domain follow these instructions:
- Download the appropriate domain for your Service Desk environment based on version and database platform from the bottom of this page.
- Open the ZR Appliance Console (https://<appliance server>:9443)
- Login as root.
- Click the ZENworks Reporting Configuration item.
- On the left click, the Domain Configuration link.
- Click Add.
- From the Dropdown select Add domain using resource file.
- Click Browse and find the zip file you downloaded in step 1.
- Select the database type, ensuring it matches the zip file.
- Configure the database settings, then click Add.
- Click OK.
- Click Apply Changes to install the new domain
- Login to the ZENworks Report Web Console and create a new adhoc view.
- You should now see a domain called Micro Focus Service Desk Domain that you can use to build your report.
Examples of Adhoc Views
Here are a couple screenshots of some interesting adhoc views you could create.
This report shows a bar chart that allows you to quickly determine the Item Types that are causing the greatest number of requests in your environment.
This report shows a line graph over time showing the number of requests that are being opened each month.
The possibilities are endless, so download the domain and get started today. Remember if you come up with some cool reports you can even export them and share them here, just make sure to note the domain and version you built them with.
Please select the domain below based on the version of service desk you are running and the database platform. The 7.2 version has been tested with 7.2-7.4 and the 7.3 version has been tested with 7.3-7.4.
22.214.171.124 Versions – Work with MFSD 7.2 and higher, no Store objects
126.96.36.199 Versions – Work with MFSD 7.3 and higher, includes Store objects
I hope you find this useful and look forward to your feedback!
Disclaimer: This domain was created by me with minimal consultation with the engineering team, so as usual with all things Cool Solutions it is not officially supported by Micro Focus. However, it seems to work pretty well based on initial feedback from testers.