Novell Data Synchronizer Connector for Vibe
Novell Data Synchronizer Connector for Vibe will release FCS this week – passed first article and should be available by the end of the week. (FCS = First Customer Ship. Bascially means when the product will be publicly available for download and deployment.)
This is our 1.0 debut for the Vibe Connector, which synchronizes tasks and calendars from Vibe to GroupWise. Our internal rollout for the connector is servicing more than 500 users. This connector has been under development for some time and further integrates our collaboration solutions together. You can now have Team calendars and Tasks in Novell Vibe and interact with those items from within the familiar GroupWise interface/habitat.
Although this technology is predominately uni-directional, there are a couple of areas that allow for a bi-directional synchronization model. For example, if you have Team task in a team workspace in Vibe and that task is synchronized to GroupWise, the GroupWise user can mark that task complete or set the % complete information for that task and that information will be synchronized back to the Vibe workspace.
To be a bit more specific, here is the a summary description from the Vibe Connector documentation that provides the details and functionality for this technology.
- All Vibe calendar folders that contain calendar appointments in your personal workspace synchronize to GroupWise.
- All Vibe calendar folders that contain calendar appoitments in team workspaces where you are a team member synchronize to GroupWise.
- Vibe Calendar folders synchronize as sub-calendars under your main GroupWise Calendar.
- Additions, modifications, and deletions on the synchronized Vibe calendars are reflected in GroupWise.
- Calendars deleted in Vibe are deleted from GroupWise.
- Tasks and calendar appointments that are assigned explicitly to you, to a team you are a member of, or to a group you are a member of (regardless of the team where the assignment originated).
- Additions, deletions, and modifications made to tasks that are assigned to you, to a team you are a member of, or to a group you are a member of in Vibe are reflected in GroupWise.
- If you modify the % Complete or Completed fields of a task in GroupWise, that status information synchronizes back to the Vibe task. (These fields are the only fields that support bidirectional synchronization.)
Additional Synchronization Behavior for Tasks and Calendars
- Vibe tasks located in Calendar folders synchronize to GroupWise calendars. Vibe calendar entries in Task folders synchronize to GroupWise in the corresponding sub-calendars.
- The GroupWise sub-calendar called Other Vibe is created by the Vibe Connector to store tasks and calendar appointments that meet the synchronization criteria but are either located in folders where you do not have access rights to the parent workspace or folder, or that are located in a folder that is not a Tasks folder or Calendar folder. For example, it is possible in Vibe to create a task in any type of folder, such as a Blog folder.
- Synchronized Calendar and Tasks folders reflect the name of the team or personal workspace where the folder is located, with the name of the folder itself in parenthesis. If the calendar or task entry does not pertain to a team that you are a member of, the folder name in GroupWise assumes the name of the Vibe folder that contains the calendar or task entry that is being synchronized.
This Vibe Connector works using the Data Synchronizer engine, the GroupWise Connector and the new Vibe Connector. You must install the Vibe Connector software on a server where Data Synchornizer and the GroupWise connector have already been installed.
See the documentation here.
Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack 1.2.1
Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack 1.2.1 will also release ‘FCS’ this week. We haven’t released Mobility since the 1.2 release in early August. So we are very excited, and so are our customers, about this update
Mobility 1.2.1 will be available both via the NCC patch channel and Patch Finder. It includes all of the work engineering performed and delivered after feedback we heard at BrainShare and delivered in a patch. This update also provides fixes for ~50 customer-reported defects and ~100 QA-reported defects. Customers will see improved reliability, especially with attachments and appointments. We’ll continue to address customer-reported defects via regular, frequent updates in an effort to maintain customer confidence. This will be engineerings focus for some time and then they will turn their attention to the feature set communicated previously through the code name: Eenou.
We encourage all of our customers to download and install this update as it level sets all of our customers on very stable, well tested and reliable functionality.
Novell Vibe Desktop and Novell Vibe Add-In for MS Office
Novell Vibe Desktop and Novell Vibe Add-In for MS Office did release Beta 2 on Monday 12/12/2011. Vibe Desktop provides a local, synchronized file store for Vibe files, allowing users to work on Vibe files in offline mode. The Add-In allows users to work on Vibe files without ever leaving their familiar Office apps.
Novell Vibe Desktop Details:
You can synchronize your Novell Vibe files with your computer, then modify the files without accessing the Vibe site directly. Additions and modifications are synchronized between Vibe and your computer. You cannot delete Vibe files from your desktop. If you do delete a Vibe file from your desktop, it is not deleted in Vibe, and is synchronized back to your desktop at the next synchronization.
Synchronization occurs at an interval designated by your Vibe administrator. The default is every 15 minutes.
You can manually synchronize files if you do not want to wait for the scheduled synchronization. For more information, see Manually Synchronizing Files.
Which Folders Are Synchronized?
Only files in Files folders and Photo Album folders within your personal workspace are synchronized by default.
You can easily configure files in Files folders and Photo Album folders within your teams or followed places to be synchronized, as described in Synchronizing Your Teams and Favorite Places.
What Actions Are Supported?
When you perform any of the following actions on documents, the action is synchronized between your computer’s file system and the Vibe server:
- Create documents
- Modify documents
In order to prevent you from inadvertently making changes on the Vibe server that you do not want to make, the following actions are not synchronized between your computer’s file system and the Vibe server:
- Delete documents
- Delete folders
- Create folders
Novell Vibe Add-In Details:
The Novell Vibe Add-In for Microsoft Office enables you to work with documents on the Vibe site without ever leaving Microsoft Office. You can easily browse to a document that is located on the Vibe site, open the document, edit it, then save it back to the Vibe site, directly from Microsoft Office.
You can work directly from Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint documents.
MS Office Requirements
The Novell Vibe Add-In for Microsoft Office is supported with the following versions of Microsoft Office:
- Microsoft Office 2010, with the latest support pack
- Microsoft Office 2007, with the latest support pack
If you don’t have Novell Vibe – its time to check it out!! This is a fantastic collaboration tool that expands your collaboration capabilities and gives your end-users easy options for teams, documents, projects and workflows. For those who don’t know….the NOWS buying program was recently updated to include Novell Vibe in the bundle at no extra cost. So if you are purchasing GroupWise through NOWS, you already own it!!! Its time to deploy it!