The much anticipated public beta of ‘Vega’ – Open Enterprise Server 2018 (OES 2018) is now live. You can download the builds from here.
Documentation can be found here.
To recap, the key value additions in OES 2018 include
- SMB Stack Updates, including encrypted data traffic support.
- Domain Services for Windows Enhancements. (2008 R2 / 2012 Schema Update, Fine grained password policies support, AES Encryption support, NSS-AD support)
- Mac Enhancements. (Salvage / Purge extension, Improved SMB performance)
- NSS Improvements. (Reduce fragmentation, Scale improvements)
- Integrated and controlled update channel(s).
- UI Refresh for some components like Remote Manager
- Numerous other bug fixes, enhancements, and performance improvements.
- All the above on top of the latest SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP2. Also included is eDirectory 9.0 – the latest version of eDirectory.
Making its debut as a Technical Preview with OES 2018 is the brand new, Cloud Integrated Storage (CIS) feature, which allows you to tier and offload cold data to on-prem or public cloud storage. Get a single pane view into your entire OES storage estate using ‘Insights’ – the dynamic network wide OES storage utilization reporter.
For more on CIS, try and play around with the beta builds and refer to the documentation here.
Alongside OES 2018, the ‘iPrint for OES 2018’ (iPrint Appliance capabilities on OES) authorized beta is available on request at this time.
Got questions or comments? Drop a note to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.