By way of introduction, I’m Rick Carlson, Senior Director of Product Management for Novell’s product offerings. I appreciate the opportunity to be a guest blogger and share some directional information on Novell’s collaboration solutions. I also know Nick will do a great job at keeping the communication level high and I look forward to seeing other guests contribute to this valued and loyal community.
Novell GroupWise is known for being a secure, reliable “home base” for workforce productivity. GroupWise 2014 enhances the email you love with new features and a sleek, dynamic user interface. This release represents extensive research and effort in specific areas our customers have requested, such as easier, updated administration, Active Directory support, and a new, fresh look for the Windows client.
Now that we’ve released GroupWise 2014, you may be wondering: What’s next?
First, we’ll be keeping in mind some important facts about our collaboration business, and we hope you will too:
Fact 1: GroupWise provides the most secure, reliable and cost effective on-premises enterprise email solution on the market.
Fact 2: Our collaboration products (GroupWise, Messenger, GroupWise Mobility Service and Novell Vibe) are a big part of our business. Our collective teams service over 6,000 active customers and many loyal, important partners.
Fact 3: Even with increased cost pressures in the market and the allure of cloud-based collaboration solutions, Novell continues to be among the top five enterprise email vendors. Only 10 percent of businesses have moved their email to the cloud.
Fact 4: Migrating to a competing solution is expensive and causes significant business disruption. More importantly, even in the most successful cases, a migration simply provides an equivalent solution.
Fact 5: Email continues to be the mission-critical application organizations rely on to do business, collaborate with customers and get things done.
With these facts in mind, we will continue to deliver value to our GroupWise partners and customers to earn your continued investment in our collaboration business. Now, let’s look at the direction we’ll be taking in the future.
New and Upcoming Releases
We know that you, our customers, place a high value on security and maximizing efficiency and are concerned with keeping sensitive information secure, on-premises and tightly controlled. We also understand the desire to gain greater management of email storage requirements. We will focus development efforts and partner activities in these areas of strength. We will continue to enhance and position GroupWise as the most cost effective, secure email platform on the market.
We are already planning our next update, GroupWise 2014 SP1, for this summer. We also plan to ship a new version of the GroupWise Mobility Service (supporting ActiveSync 14.1) and Novell Messenger 3, both this year. In addition, we are working on a new release of GroupWise (code named Cornell) that will add some exciting new security and usability features that we know many of you will love. We are also working on plans to ship the next release of Vibe (code named Hudson) targeted to ship in calendar Q1 of 2015. Talk about a busy and exciting year!
While we continue to refine specific details on our GroupWise roadmap, we can tell you what themes you can expect:
- Security and Reliability. We will focus on areas where our strengths in security and reliability match the needs of our security-conscious and highly-regulated customers. These include: advances in authentication and authorization; greater protection and control of email content and attachments; hardening of the post office servers; and pursuing industry-specific certifications.
- Flexibility and Choice. We want to leverage market standards to give end users a choice for client access while retaining the security and reliability that GroupWise brings to the enterprise.
- Mobility. Mobility continues to be important for GroupWise customers and we will continue to focus on mobility solutions.
- Total Cost of Ownership. We will explore areas that further increase productivity and efficiency for end users while continuing to decrease the time and effort it takes to administer, deploy, update and learn the GroupWise product line. We also understand the opportunity that integration with Filr represents to reduce the enterprise email storage requirements.
- Agility. We will become more responsive to customers’ needs by providing more frequent GroupWise releases. We are moving away from multi-year release cycles; instead, we will release support packs and updates frequently.
- Ongoing Stability. Future releases of GroupWise will be a combination of ongoing stability fixes and targeted enhancements and improvements. Organizations using GroupWise 8 and GroupWise 2012 should plan to upgrade now so they can take advantage of the new advances and features.
GroupWise 2014 continues to be the most cost-effective, secure email platform on the market. Watch for a renewed focus that combines our areas of strength with the security and reliability needs of our customers.
There’s only one thing we ask of you: Upgrade to GroupWise 2014! We won’t be able to deliver the benefits and updates we have planned if you’re not on GroupWise 2014. Our collaboration business is important to us. Move to GroupWise 2014 so we can prove it to you with all the benefits we have planned.