IT is always telling you the IT environment isn’t secure enough. Lately, they may be trying to push everyone toward an on-premises file sharing solution. But you’re already familiar with Dropbox, Google Drive, or one of their competitors. Why should you have to switch just for work documents? They tell you that once you put a file in one of those clouds that it’s easier for hackers to get into, but that’s never happened to you.
Well, IT might actually be on to something. There are five advantages for you as a user to go along with the IT people’s drive toward an on-premises file sharing solution for your business documents.
- Easier versioning control. It’s a pain when someone has a different version of a document than you. Whether it’s an older or newer version, someone has to get up to speed. On-premises solutions fix this by giving everyone access to a single file, since that file doesn’t actually get copied anywhere.
- You know where your files are. It can be hard to find a file when one person writes it, someone else moves it, and then someone else moves it again. Soon you’ve wasted a lot of time just looking for the document you’re supposed to work on. With an on-premises solution, your folder structure and organization stays—you don’t have to recreate it.
- You’re off the hook. You can probably think of some recent data breaches that have made the news. Usually, someone besides the hacker is responsible for the breach. That person locked the door, but forgot to close the window. On-premises solutions use existing security in the IT environment to protect files while still allowing users access to the data. That means you’re off the hook for the next headline-making breach.
- File size. Most people use consumer-grade cloud services because the apps are free and easy to use. But storage space is also limited, so you can only put in a few really big files and nothing else. This is painful if you’re trying to get a lot of big PDFs to your home computer from work. On the other hand, on-premises solutions don’t use another group’s servers—they use your organization’s servers. Files sizes aren’t an issue.
- It makes IT happy. An organization is a big symbiotic relationship. You do something that makes IT’s life easier—using their on-premises file solution—and they make your life easier by getting to that service request a little faster. Everyone is less stressed, and you can get on with work.
Good on-premises file sharing tools are just as easy to use as the cloud-based solutions you might be familiar with. Once you get in and start using them, you may even end up wishing you could use it for your personal files, too.