One of the more tricky hurdles our team had to overcome in our migration from Windows XP to Windows 7 in a ZENworks environment was to figure out how we were going to get ConsoleOne working on our Windows 7 workstations.
Until we came across the solution, we were running XP VM’s for the sole purpose of running ConsoleOne. With no clear instructions on how to accomplish this task, I took a four day long stab at trying to virtualize the application. Finally, after some face-to-keyboard contact and much trial and error, I found success!
Before you Begin:
- Start with a fresh, barebones Windows XP workstation or VM.
- Install Novell ZAV 8.0
- Copy the files from an existing Windows XP workstation with a fully functional install of ConsoleOne (Typically located at C:\novell\consoleone) and place them on the Desktop of the ZAV machine you have just created.
- Copy over the ConsoleOne setup executable.
- Install Novell Client 4.91 SP5 for Windows. Reboot your machine.
- Beginner’s Tip: If you’re frequently building and virtualizing applications, you may want to create a VM and utilize the snapshot feature so that starting from scratch is only a short ‘revert’ away.
The Fun Part:
- After the reboot, do not log into your Novell network. Log in workstation only. I used the administrator account.
- Launch ZAV. To keep things easy, we are going to use the Configuration Wizard. Choose ‘Virtualize a third-party application or component’.
- Ensure all other programs and processes have been shut down. Capture the ‘before’ snapshot. This is a good time to grab a coffee.
- When the snapshot is complete, proceed with running the ConsoleOne setup to your liking. Do not launch the software when the install has completed.
- Take the ConsoleOne files that you copied to the Desktop earlier and paste these overtop of what you just installed. By default, ConsoleOne installs to C:\novell\consoleone. This will copy over your snap-ins, configuration, etc.
- Take the ‘after’ snapshot.
- Ensure that the Startup File points to the proper executable. If you let it install to its default directory, this field should be pointing to C:\novell\consoleone\1.2\bin\consoleone.exe.
- Build the application.
Before you Deploy:
- Please make the following registry change on the Windows 7 PC prior to running ConsoleOne (or, build this into the virtualized application itself — I chose not to so that it could be used on various flavours of Windows):
CurrentVersion] > “MinorVersion”=dword:0000005b