This post took a long time to put together – hopefully it answers a lot of questions raised on Cool Blogs. I especially want to clear up the misconceptions about ZENworks 10 Configuration Management – and some incorrect assumptions about being tied to a Windows server infrastructure.
Written at: San Francisco, CA and Draper, UT
To start we need to re-read the blog post from Jason Williams from June 2006 – in it he explains much of the rational for the drive to Open Enterprise Server 2 and the shift of services across from the NetWare kernel to the Linux kernel.
And here is the real crux of the matter; Novell has two choices in front of it:
1) Continue developing the NetWare operating system
2) Bring the services over to a new platform for the future
It is not as if Novell suddently woke up one morning and decided to port all of its services to Linux and buy Ximian and SuSE. The decision making process was long and drawn out and a good deal of customer feedback went into the decisions. And so we find ourselves in the here and now.
To this end the ZENworks team have worked closely with the Workgroup team at Novell in many ways.
First – to make sure that we both co-operate and our products work well with each other
- ZENworks 7 runs on both NetWare 6.5 and SLES 10. We have lots of examples of customers choosing the deploy ZENworks on a mixed environment of NetWare, OES and SLES together.
- ZENworks 10 Configuration Management runs on SLES 10 and the forthcoming Open Enterprise Server 2.
Second – we have also tied our support lifecycles together where it makes sense.
- We know customers will run NetWare and ZENworks “for ever” – to that end we support ZENworks 7 suite until 2017 – longer than NetWare 6.5.
- Take a look at the support lifecycle here https://support.novell.com/lifecycle/lcSearchResults.jsp?st=-1&sl=-1&sg=1
- This means that we will have support packs, updates and security fixes during the general support period.
Third – we jointly came up with some creative product bundling
- Take a look at the Novell Open Workgroup Suite. https://www.novell.com/products/openworkgroupsuite/
- NOWS includes ZENworks 7 suite – which runs on NetWare 6.5 and SLES 10
- NOWS also includes an entitlement to ZENworks 10 Configuration Management which runs on SLES 10
I hope these help emphasise our strong commitment to customers who have purchased and deployed ZENworks in a NetWare environment.
Let me repeat again: we support you with ZENworks 7 during the life of your NetWare infrastructure. We welcome you with the newest additions to the ZENworks product family as you move across to Open Enterprise Server 2 and SLES 10.