Connection Magazine Archive
2006 — by Month
Fourth Quarter 2006
- Tech Talk 1 If your current desktop migration plans are leading you on a direct path for iceberg-infested waters, it might be time to consider alternative routes. Implementing a proof of concept and pilot program can enable you to find out how SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop can take your enterprise on a course that leads to lower desktop costs, while improving usability, productivity and security.
- Tech Talk 2 These innovations reduce cost and risk by significantly improving interoperability with unmodified guest operating systems. And with the solid foundation of Intel Virtualization Technology in place, SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 with the integrated Xen VMM is ready to change the lookÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂand more important, the operationÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂof the data center.
- Tech Talk 3 If your company is looking for an alternative to the high price of continuing to deploy and maintain Microsoft machines, give SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop a good hard look. You can deploy it into your existing environment with little to no changes to your current infrastructure.
- Tech Talk 4 This article outlines a select group of file systems, disk formats and storage protocols as they pertain to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server. we’ll also cover the storage capabilities of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server as they pertain to iSCSI.
- Tech Talk 5 In this final article of the series, we’ll build on the transition of desktop applications to open source from the third article and finish the migration story by discussing the SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop and how to effectively make the final transition from Windows to Linux.
- Tech Talk 6 This article will describe how to use the utility to migrate GroupWise domains, Internet Agents and WebAccess agents to Linux.
- Tech Talk 7 In this case study, we’ll help you explore common tools used in our IS&T engineering tools team; however, the same tools are applicable for any type of developer or language of choice and widely used in most areas of Novell.
- Tech Talk 8 For this article, the third in this series, I put OO Writer to the test, executing the first of several planned tasks.
- Tech Talk 9 Data center managers are looking for a variety of ways to address dilemmas. One of the key ways is server consolidation using virtualization.
- A Honeypot/IDS Combo
- Lead Off We’re focusing on broadening the applicability of virtualization within the enterprise data center in safe and secure ways. Our solutions will leverage open source and open standards, enable you to implement changes at your own pace to make sure you see results every step of the way.
- Bottom Line As the momentum of Linux adoption continues to grow along the product life cycle curve, Novell and its partners (including the open source community) are accelerating that growth. At the same time, all are working to lower an organization’s Investment cost of Linux while raising the Return. In most cases, when including all the contributing factors of the ROI formula, the ROI of a migration to Linux makes a lot of sense.
- Proof Point A popular Internet retailer needs a high-performance IT infrastructure to manage millions of Web requests each day. Overstock.com improved its ability to manage its business in real time with a Teradata system running on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server in a 64-bit environment
- Trend Talk Whether you want to rip, organize, listen, burn, import, share, sync to your iPod (or other portable music device) or create a playlist—you can perform all these tasks with Banshee.
- Fine Print You have officially arrived as a card-carrying Linux Desktop user. What next? It’s now time to tune your environment for maximum productivity.
- Train Trax Whether you choose the individual (online) or comprehensive (on-site) assessment, the Novell Technical Skills Assessment helps you maximize your software investment and find the courses that will be most beneficial to you and your organization.
- Market Start The Astaro Security Gateway integrates nine security technologies covering all aspects of security including Network (firewall, VPN and intrusion protection) Web (spyware protection, virus protection for the Web and content filtering), and E-mail (virus protection for e-mail, spam protection and phishing protection).
- Brain Share Whether you’re a newcomer or a veteran attendee, Novell BrainShare 2007—scheduled for March 18-23 in Salt Lake City—promises to showcase exciting new solutions and technologies that will keep you on the leading edge of innovation and enterprise growth.
Third Quarter 2006
- Tech Talk 1 Without further adieu, let me introduce you to the next generation desktop OS: SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10, and all the great open source software that accompanies it.
- Tech Talk 2 In this article, we’ll give you some helpful hints and things we have tried that you should consider when looking for open source code to solve your business needs.
- Tech Talk 3 So closely tied to its users, OpenOffice.org is regularly improved by contributors such as Novell, incorporating recommendations made by its user community. OpenOffice.org 2.0 is truly a revised version you can applaud!ÃÂÃÂ
- Tech Talk 4 In this article, we’ll give you a recipe for using ZENworks Linux Management to distribute AppArmor security profiles to multiple servers within your organization, and talk about some of the new security features in development for AppArmor.
- Tech Talk 5 this article will give you practical ideas on leveraging specific components of the Novell Open Workgroup suite to save money, increase flexibility and position you to take advantage of a full, open standards-based solution when the time is right.
- Tech Talk 6 This article reviews ITIL best practices and summarizes how ZENworks Asset Management functionality can be mapped to specific ITIL guidance in these areas.
- Tech Talk 7 Because of its ability to tie roles to entitlements, track those associations and prevent unauthorized provisioning, an identity-based asset management process is far superior to existing license compliance initiatives. As interest in this concept grows, look to NovellÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂ a leader in enterprise-wide resource and identity managementÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂto champion and develop the innovations to support it
- Tech Talk 8 Novell Identity Manager is already the leading identity solution in the market, now Designer lets you leverage Identity Manager to create identity solutions more easily than ever before.
- Wireshark (formerly Ethereal)
Second Quarter 2006
- Tech Talk 1 Novell Connection caught up with Dr. Jaffe at this year’s Linux World Expo in Boston and asked him about open source and Linux on the desktop.
- Tech Talk 2 As with any new release, the server component of the platform, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, has of course more features than its predecessors, but there are three significant additions to the server that go a long way toward pleasing the ever-growing demand for more: AppArmor Application Security, Storage Foundation, and Server Virtualization.
- Tech Talk 3 Novell customers will find that SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop is the very best desktop for their organization. It’s fully conversant with the complete suite of Novell infrastructure and workspace solutions
- Tech Talk 4 The Mono development framework included in SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 and SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 provides all the tools necessary for developers to build high performance cross-platform applications for both the server and desktop while preserving investments in expertise, code and existing hardware.
- Tech Talk 5 If you have a highly distributed mobile workforce that requires real-time access to critical and strategic application data, PIM data and e-mail, then GroupWise Mobile Server is a must.There’s no better way to extend the comprehensive, cross-platform collaboration services of GroupWise to the rapidly expanding mobile workforce.
- Tech Talk 6 With broad new capabilities and state-of-the-art components, Novell Access Manager 3 is an advanced solution that effectively secures your infrastructure, prevents information theft and protects the privacy of people inside and outside your organization with the ease and simplicity required in today’s fastpaced, competitive business environment.
- Tech Talk 7 ZENworks Linux Management—Dell Edition simplifies IT operations, offering singleconsole management of Dell server hardware configuration, firmware, drivers, the Linux operating system and applications.
- Tech Talk 8 According to postings on the Department of Education Web site (doe.state.in.us), Novell agreed to work with education software suppliers to certify .NET applications on Mono.
- Tech Talk 9 NMAS is an extensible security product that offers you an easy way to centrally manage multifactor authentication methods across your network. With NMAS, users can authenticate to the network via something they know (password), something they have (a smart card: Novell Certificate Login), and/or something they are (their fingerprint).
- Tech Talk 10 Sentinel Mainframe Connect captures security and compliance activities directly from mainframe computers and correlates the information with other IT security and compliance events across the enterprise, an unmatched capability unique in the industry.
- Reconnaisance with WHOIS
- Lead Off If you’re not currently running an open enterprise, now’s the perfect time to start. Let us help you implement the mix of open source and proprietary software that works for your organization to create your open enterprise.
- Bottom Line SUSE Linux Enterprise is the first offering designed specifically to meet the needs and requirements of open enterprises. It’s a comprehensive software platform that provides all the tools and capabilities businesses need to build a new kind of healthy, successful open enterprise environmentÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂfrom the data center to the desktop.
- Proof Point Moving to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server gives Casas Bahia the kind of reliability and flexibility required by a retail giant. An open platform helped the company avoid the $8 million cost of a proprietary solution, as well as any increased hardware, software and training costs which would be significant for a company of its size.
- Trend Talk With the growing popularity of Linux, Novell is committed to give students hands-on Linux training and real-world scenarios to prepare them for competitive, successful IT careers
- Fine Print Here’s a do-it-yourself guide to making your GroupWise Home View your dream home.
- Suite Deal As the number of organizations worldwide adding Linux to their network and office infrastructures continues to grow, the Novell Open Workgroup Suite provides an ideal way to meet their needs.
- Market Start The speed and scalability of PostgreSQL make it a natural choice for transactional applications of all kinds, and its implementation of advanced database features, such as triggers, views and stored procedures, is mature and stable.
- High Light During BrainShare 2006, Novell executives and engineers delivered several keynote addresses to standing-room-only crowds in the Salt Palace Convention Center.
- Train Trax Novell’s Train-the-Teacher course is free to NATPÃÂ¢ÃÂÃÂaffiliated instructors who will teach Getting Started with Linux: Novell’s Guide to CompTIA’s Linux+ (Course 3060, v2.0) to their students.
- Back to Basics This article focuses on the server management tools that you use to remotely access and manage Open Enterprise Server for Linux.
First Quarter 2006
- Tech Talk 1 ZENworks Asset Management reports on the full range of IT devices: servers and routers, desktops and handhelds—and the software running them. ZENworks Asset Management can scale to your environment—whether you have PCs at one location or all over the world.
- Tech Talk 2 This article discusses some of the advantages of HA services, and how to configure and test them. In particular, how to set up a redundant node to take over serving Web pages when the main node fails.
- Tech Talk 3 By allowing you to interact directly with Post Office Agents, the GroupWise Web Service enables you to easily and quickly create cross-platform solutions that make it simple for administrators and developers to view, manage and manipulate the information stored in users' mailboxes
- Tech Talk 4 With its broad focus on wireless synchronization, Novell has set out to provide exactly this level of adaptability. BES v4.0 for GroupWise is a great choice for connecting GroupWise to the most popular set of mobile devices in North America (and growing fast everywhere else).
- Tech Talk 5 Novell has done it again! It has further enhanced its support for, and commitment to, Linux and the open source movement by sponsoring a new project: openSUSE.
- Tech Talk 6 With the innovative solutions in Identity Manager 3, Novell can help your business gain the agility required for future growth, while retaining the world-class security you've come to expect from Novell.
- Tech Talk 7 With features enhancing everything from collecting, monitoring, filtering and notifying of event data, Novell Audit is definitely a good thing—made even better.
- Tech Talk 8 SecureLogin 6.0 has everything you need to take back control of your networks while lowering your costs and increasing the security of your systems as well as the productivity of your users. It also facilitates and simplifies conformance to government and corporate regulatory requirements.
- Tech Talk 9 More than 6,000 attendees will discover, or rediscover, why BrainShare is one of the industry’s premiere venues for learning, exploring and networking. They will remember exactly why attending BrainShare is such a smart business decision. They will experience one of the most fun and distinctive technology conferences in the world.
- Tech Talk 10 Learn how to develop and deploy a Standard Operating Environment using Novell ZENworks 7 and the ENGL Imaging Toolkit.
- Ethereal’s Expert System and SEQ/ACK Analysis
- Lead Off As your identity is important to you, your customers' identities are important to them. Are you protecting your customers' identity information?
- Bottom Line Identity theft is on the rise at an alarming rate, sitting at the top of the Federal Trade Commission annual list of consumer fraud filings for the fifth year in a row.When the FTC categorized the 635,173 complaints received in 2004, 246,570 were identity theft reports and 388,603 were fraud complaints.
- Proof Point By standardizing and consolidating its infrastructure with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, ITV has created a high performing and resilient environment. The organization is seeing substantial performance gains with several of its mission-critical systems and has close to and in excess of 99.999 percent uptime for its production environment.
- Trend Talk Novell has the simplest virtualization policy as well as pricing. Its virtualization licensing policy has been in effect since August 2004 when SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 was introduced, and using one or more virtual images on a physical processor or server does not alter the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 licensing policy.
- Fine Print The Monitor for Novell GroupWise 7 has some cool new features. Let’s take a look at a few tips so you can get the most out of the improvements.
- Market Start MySQL Network includes 24x7 technical support services that ensure your production database applications are always available.
- Market Start The Pentaho Business Intelligence Project is an ongoing effort by the open source community to provide organizations with best-in-class solutions for their enterprise BI needs.
- Training Day Attend a Novell training course and discover how Novell Identity Manager can help maximize your business.
- Back to Basics This article continues to increase your Linux comfort level by introducing these fundamentals: Understanding runlevels, Logging in and out, Using the Linux desktop, Using the Linux shell, Understanding and viewing processes, and Shutting down and restarting the server.