Fourth Quarter 2007
- Tech Talk 1 The ultimate purpose of this learning path is for you to be able to deploy Novell Open Enterprise Server 2 in your network.
- Tech Talk 2 This article discusses how easy Novell SecureLogin is to install and implement and explains the benefits of adding it to your network.
- Tech Talk 3 OpenSUSE 10.3 was made for geeks and green horns alike. Operating system and application installation have been retooled with ease of use and flexibility in mind. Keep reading to see what's under the hood in openSUSE 10.3 and how to get started!
- Tech Talk 4 There is one step toward being green you'll want to take right away—a step toward a green data center. Virtualization is not a trend. And it's more than a corporate initiative. It's a better, more efficient way to manage your data center allowing you to consolidate where possible and increase utilization.
- Tech Talk 5 ZENworks Endpoint Security Management gives security administrators the ability to centrally define corporate security policies for endpoints such as notebooks and workstations, and have those policies actively enforced 24x7
- Tech Talk 6 ZENworks Configuration Management has many new improvements, enhancements and capabilities. Built using Novell's Blueprint for Better Management, you will find that it meets your needs today and in the future.
- Tech Talk 7 In this article we focus on ten tasks that every troubleshooter should conquer primarily around the world of traffic analysis, which is, of course, a must-know field in general.
- Tech Talk 8 To show you how you can use these tools to help your everyday calculating, I've chosen a scenario that many of you OpenOffice.org champions might need to convince the people in charge that your organization would be much better migrating to open source. I'm going to show you how to use Calc to crunch basic cost analysis numbers for migrating to OpenOffice.org.
- Tech Talk 9 BrainShare is informative, fun and a great place to network. It also represents one of the best conference values you'll find anywhere.
- Analysis Session: ICMP Redirection
- Lead Off During the coming months we will turn Novell Connection online into a true webzine—rather than a static, retrofitted version of our print magazine. We're genuinely excited about the possibilities. And we look forward to making Novell Connection a more useful, relevant and interesting source of insight and information.
- Bottom Line There are dozens of different ways to put Novell Teaming and Novell Teaming + Conferencing to work for your organization and increase its success. Novell's model for open innovation also provides a way for your organization to set its own agenda, instead of being driven by proprietary software vendors.
- Proof Point As a $15.4 billion company and global provider of office products and services, Office Depot knows the challenges of managing a complex enterprise that requires continuous and stable uptime. Simplifying its IT environment with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server has helped Office Depot reduce IT costs, while maintaining superior stability and performance.
- Trend Talk Going forward into the 2008 fiscal year, Novell's Training Services is combining forces with Global Knowledge and Learning to form the powerhouse organization: Novell Technical Learning.
- Trend Talk The technology landscape is littered with trends that are pegged to either revolutionize or augment traditional computing. Two such technologies are Solid State Disk (SSD) and Holographic data storage. The catalyst driving research in these areas is market demand.
- Fine Print Get tips and tricks on how to customize GroupWise to your taste.
- Tech Talk 1 Do some aspects of your IT environment lack excitement? Then take a look at the Novell Workgroup products that will help your organization or small business get the job done.
- Tech Talk 2 Check out the new charting features in OpenOffice.org 2.3. See how the improved Wizard feature and 3-D Charts put Calc on a new playing field with other spreadsheet programs.
- Advanced IO Graphing
- Proof Point After launching a Novell identity management solution, GBMC now provides single sign-on to frequently used applications, which increases security, as well as maintains compliance with HIPAA requirements.
- Tech Talk 1 If you've been waiting for the services you love on NetWare to make their way to Linux, the wait is over! Novell Open Enterprise 2 delivers! Catch the details here. (Part 4 of 4.)
- Tech Talk 2 Explore the differences and similarities between OpenOffice.org Calc and other popular spreadsheet programs. See how Calc compares to the spreadsheet program you're currently using. (Part of an ongoing series on the OpenOffice.org free office suite.)
- Faulty Padding
- Proof Point Find out how a Canada law corporation used SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop and reduced its hardware costs by 30 percent and eliminated e-mail downtime by migrating to Novell GroupWise.
Third Quarter 2007
- Tech Talk 1 SteelEye is a leading provider of enterprise IT-reliability solutions for business continuity on Linux and Windows 2000/2003. The SteelEye LifeKeeper family of high availability clustering, data protection and disaster recovery software products are easy to deploy and operate.
- Tech Talk 2 Learn how Bandit has components and solutions that help you deal with identities in easier and more secure ways than ever before.
- Tech Talk 3 OpenSUSE Build Service is an efficient way to make applications available across many distributions. It provides a comprehensive view of current/future open source projects and supports integration of external contributions.
- Tech Talk 4 In this article, we'll talk about ZENworks Linux Management and how its latest features give you complete management of your Linux systems. we'll explore the architecture of this product and see how it works. we'll also show how it performs the tasks that you desire.
- Tech Talk 5 Investing in the minds of the future, like the Novell/Neumont internship collaboration does, will increase adoption of the Linux platform and will continue to build on the open source culture by giving back.
- Tech Talk 6 In this article, we'll explore in detail how to set up and configure a Network Installation Server paired with PXE Boot and AutoYaST for speedy, hands-free installations.
- Tech Talk 7 Even though NetWare has been enhanced to recognize that it's running as a virtual server, it is still basically the same reliable NetWare you're used to. It's simply operating in a new environment that presents opportunities and capabilities you didn't have before.
- Tech Talk 8 Novell ZENworks Configuration Management is the next-generation solution for identity-based management of Windows desktops, including Windows Vista. It's designed to speed service delivery and ensure accurate desktop configuration for increased IT efficiency and user productivity.
- Tech Talk 9 Tapping into the communications in a passive manner enables you to identify communication problems. Mastering analysis of TCP/IP communications is critical when identifying the source of those problems and differentiates TCP issues from application issues.
- Tech Talk 10 Get tips and tricks for OpenOffice.
- Reassembling TCP Data Streams
- Lead Off Novell has undergone several transformations in recent years. Among the most impactful is the stronger customer and market-based perspective, illustrated by the way Novell's business units have been addressing customer needs.
- Bottom Line This article will give you information and guidance about virtualization in Open Enterprise Server 2, so you can deploy a virtualized environment with confidence.
- Proof Point An aging infrastructure and limited budget were preventing the Nevada Department of Corrections IT staff from keeping pace with its growth. Moving to Novell Open Enterprise Server running SUSE Linux Enterprise Server helped the department significantly control increasing hardware and software costs, while Novell ZENworks allowed existing staff to administer 75 percent more desktops.
- View Point Linux and FOSS brings quality to computing in ways that can restore joy to technology use at all levels. The cost of experimenting with new programs is only your time. This opens the door to creativity across the curriculum and across grade levels.
- In the News Thanks to a new solution from SAP AG and Novell—both industry leaders in solutions for business organizations of all sizes—you have a seamless support solution integrated into a high-availability business solution.
- Fine Print Let's take a closer look and create the perfect rule. We'll go through every possible step, and explain the rule dialog in more detail along the way.
- Market Start SugarCRM has become one of the most popular open source application projects in history in just three years. This is thanks in part to standardizing on PHP, which has a growing and active open source community behind it.
- Tech Talk 1 Learn how Novell Domain Services for Windows—debuting in Novell Open Enterprise Server 2—can help simplify your IT environment. (Part two of a four-part series.)
- Tech Talk 2 Looking for data management options? Read this article to learn more about: Novell Dynamic Storage, Hierarchial Storage Mgmt, Data Deduplication.
- Wireshark Tip: Defining Static MAC Names
- Tech Talk 1 Novell believes in keeping the human element at the center of things. With Novell Secure Desktop you can provide end users with the resources and tools they need, while at the same time, protecting your company from user mistakes.
- Tech Talk 2 Come take a look at OpenOffice.org's presentation program, Impress. Discover for yourself how this free suite stacks up against its toughest competitor. (Part of a multi-part series.)
- Tech Talk 3 Discover some of the highlights of Novell Open Office Enterprise Server 2, starting with Dynamic Storage Technology—a new feature focused on controlling rising data storage costs. (Part one of a four-part series.)
- Proof Point Facing prohibitive costs to create new computer labs, the University of New Mexico adopted a Multiplied SUSE® Linux Enterprise Desktop strategy to increase its student computer access tenfold, while reducing the costs of setting up a classroom lab by more than 80 percent.
Second Quarter 2007
- Tech Talk 1 Some of the issues influencing your destination—issues Williams recommends you consider when planning a NetWare to Novell Open Enterprise Server migration—include: Migration or Consolidation, Physical to Physical or Physical to Virtual, Directory Concerns, Clustering, Linux Considerations, and Migration Tools.
- Tech Talk 2 In the end, no matter your role (vendor, customer or a member of the open source community), the Novell Partner Linux Driver Process provides a strategic, forward-looking and interrelated approach to kernel and driver updates.
- Tech Talk 3 The good news is that Novell GroupWise is all about giving you the choice and flexibility you need to meet your business objectives, including giving you the option to run your GroupWise servers on NetWare, Windows or Linux.
- Tech Talk 4 Although the Identity Assurance Solution was originally created for use by government agencies and contractors affected by HSPD12, it's clear this solution could be applied to many other types of organizations, particularly those with widely distributed, multilocation workforces and those who may be affected by other IT-compliance regulations and standards such as Sarbanes-Oxley, HIPAA or ISO17799
- Tech Talk 5 This article explains how you can introduce and migrate ZENworks Configuration Management into your system if you've been using the ZENworks Suite.
- Tech Talk 6 SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop is loaded with the applications and features you need to deploy a desktop operating system with confidence, integrating seamlessly with Windows and Unix environments. Service Pack 1 continues the SUSE tradition of innovation with enhanced usability, robust security and native virtualization
- Tech Talk 7 This article covers the background information necessary to preparing Xen virtual servers to host GroupWise.
- Tech Talk 8 This case study will briefly introduce you to the pieces that make up the OpenOffice suite which works both on Windows and Linux. It will also introduce you to another open source productivity tool that is available only in Linux and ships with our SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 called Planner.
- Tech Talk 9 Get tips and tricks for OpenOffice.
- Tech Talk 10 BrainShare always seems to pack a month's worth of sensory overclocking into a single supersaturated week, and the 2007 conference did not disappoint. So if there are blank spots in some of your conference recollections, it's perfectly understandable. Fortunately your Connection correspondents have compiled a subjective survey of strategic highlights.
- Tech Talk 11 At BrainShare 2007, two of the Bring Your Own Laptop (BYOL) sessions focused on performance issues. In this article we'll examine high latency, packet loss and TCP window congestion labs to demonstrate the process of locating the cause of poor performance.
- Colorizing Traffic
- Lead Off BrainShare 2007 clearly demonstrated to our customers, partners, employees and others how our strength and focus is driving momentum in our markets and delivering real value for our customers.
- Bottom Line Our SUSE Linux Enterprise platform, along with the other open source and open standards-based solutions from Novell, give you a clear, safe and strong path to IT improvements and competitive advantage.
- Proof Point For its global IT team to be effective, JohnsonDiversey needed a consistent identity management solution for its worldwide workforce, as well as centralized desktop management. Novell solutions help the company centrally manage user identities and assets in a cost effective manner.
- Fine Print Get tips and tricks on how to customize GroupWise to your taste.
- Market Start In this article we'll define what "enterprise open source software" means and describe the characteristics of such applications.
- Market Start Liferay Portal is a mature open source portal with a growing community of Novell users and invested compatibility with Novell technologies. Using Novell SUSE Linux 10, Apache Geronimo Application Server 1.1 and Liferay Portal, a full open source stack can be deployed that works with your existing technology, whatever it may be.
- Tech Talk 1 Frustrated by collaboration solutions that don't work well with others? Learn how Novell GroupWise works with a rich variety of platforms, devices, applications and standards—giving you the choice and flexibility you need.
- Tech Talk 2 Is your organization looking for an identity management solution that can: 1) maximize agility 2) enforce security and compliance and 3) reduce complexity across heterogeneous systems and platforms? Discover what Novell Identity Manager 3.5 has to offer.
- Following TCP Streams
- Proof Point Gundersen Lutheran Health System reduced user management time by 90 percent and IT travel time and costs by 95 percent with Novell Identity Manager and Novell ZENworks. Click here to learn more.
First Quarter 2007
- Tech Talk 1 The Novell teaming solution lets users create workspaces and invite other members of the workgroup to participate. The team can share and access documents, calendars, discussion boards, wikis, blogs and workflows. These features let the entire team share the different types of content they produce so they can work together more effectively.
- Tech Talk 2 The upcoming release of Novell Open Enterprise Server lets you take full advantage of the extra processing power, added memory capabilities, and improved heat and energy savings offered by 64-bit dual-core and multi-core processors from Intel and AMD.
- Tech Talk 3 Whether your organization is planning to stay with NetWare for the foreseeable future—or move more quickly to the Linux platform—BorderManager 3.9 can offer you outstanding perimeter protection services today and a smooth, secure path into the future. Visit novell.com/bordermanager for more details on BorderManager 3.9. And find out why BorderManager is still the best choice for your business.
- Tech Talk 4 This article discusses migrating iPring from NetWare to Open Enterprise Server Linux. It also covers installing and configuring iFolder 3.2 on an Open Enterprise Server Linux server.
- Tech Talk 5 Sentinel's automated capabilities eliminate and replace the previously labor-intensive, error-prone manual processes for gathering, analyzing and reporting on compliance data. And real-time data streams mean that you're delivering an up-to-date view every time you generate a new report.
- Tech Talk 6 In this article, we'll dig into this new ZENworks product and discuss what is different, describe the exciting new features that are coming, which you've been asking for, and give you some tips to help your transition to this new version.
- Tech Talk 7 This article describes a perfect first project—a demonstration recently documented by Novell engineers that provides an accessible introduction to server virtualization by emulating an enterprise-class storage solution. At tabletop scale it replicates many of the core elements and processes of a Linux-based High Availability Storage Foundation (HASF)
- Tech Talk 8 Wireshark is the world's foremost network protocol analyzer, and is the standard in many industries. "Wireshark University's mission is to develop and release quality, self-paced and instructor-led training on network analysis, troubleshooting, security and optimization using the world's most popular analyzer, Wireshark . It has more than 1.5 million downloads per year!"
- Tech Talk 9 This article adds to the template discussion by explaining how I used OO Writer to incorporate Styles into and thereby improve the usefulness of The ABC View template. With the template and associated styles, creating new editions of The ABC View is now easier than ever.
- Tech Talk 10 Testopia is a test case management extension for Bugzilla. It's a generic tool for tracking test cases, allowing for testing organizations to integrate bug reporting with their test case run results. Though it is designed with software testing in mind, it can be used to track testing on virtually anything in the engineering process.
- Tech Talk 11 Thin clients combined with terminal services, while a nod to computing of days past, offer great opportunities to increase worker productivity, enhance data security and decrease IT administration costs. Leveraging Linux and open source technologies such as NLPOS, Kiwi and SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop, you can realize increased savings in hardware acquisition costs and client operating system licensing. So size up your fat desktop environment, size down to thin clients and enjoy the calming green glow of money saved.
- Tech Talk 12 The Novell Technical Skills Assessment Program helps ensure your staff's technical abilities keep pace with your aggressive business goals. These new online assessments quickly measure your specific skill sets and provide you with a personalized development plan to help you chart your training and achieve your goals.
- Network Forensics: Identifying a Compromised System
- Lead Off Rediscover Novell and our infrastructure for innovation. We're certain that you'll find something here that will make a real difference in your organization—and in your career
- Bottom Line Novell has positioned itself to focus all of the company's talents and resources on helping customers use Linux and open source solutions to solve problems in innovative ways—and help them simplify, harmonize and manage complex mixed-source and multivendor infrastructures.
- Proof Point The Susquehanna International Group of companies (SIG) runs sophisticated systems to trade in the various financial markets and requires constant uptime. Moving to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server dramatically increased system performance, and allowed a hardware switch that reduced costs by about 75 percent
- Fine Print Get ready for the next generation of ZENworks; the changes are revolutionary for the product line
- Market Start This article provides a brief technical overview of Amanda to help you understand how it is different from other backup software. Amanda provides all the benefits of open source such as flexibility, high quality code, security and low cost, and it fully addresses the backup and recovery needs of most enterprise users.
- Market Start Centeris Likewise Identity 3.0 seamlessly integrates UNIX, Linux and other systems/applications with Microsoft Active Directory and allows them to use Active Directory for authentication needs. It also provides cross-platform single sign-on for applications and extends Active Directory group policy to Linux and UNIX systems.
- Tech Talk 1 The change to Daylight Saving Time is sooner than you think. On March 11, 2007 will your organization be ready? See how Novell ZENworks can help!
- Tech Talk 2 Learn how to move, create and access your Novell Storage Services volumes with Novell Open Enterprise Server on Linux.
- Tech Talk 3 Novell GroupWise Mobile Server is being updated to provide support for more devices, more languages and more features—all while making it even more reliable. Learn more here!
- Tech Talk 4 With Novell Business Continuity Clustering, you have the flexibility to design a redundant system that best serves the organic nature of your network. Whether you have a single site, main site with a remote failover site, or multiple sites with application and data redundancy needed for each, you can configure Novell Business Continuity Clustering to meet your requirements
- Filtering on TCP Analysis Flags
- Proof Point As a leading IT services provider, Siemens IT Solutions and Services wanted to minimize its operational costs, while continuing to provide customers with high-performance, scalable solutions. With SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, the company reduced its total cost of ownership by 25 percent and can offer its customers more competitive pricing for services
- Tech Talk 1 GroupWise Mobile Server has made everyone's life much more productive, not to mention less stressful. But supporting mobile users is only the beginning. Read on!
- Tech Talk 2 This article is the first in a three-part series aimed to acquaint you with Novell Open Enterprise Server and perhaps ease some of the anxiety you're feeling about making the jump from NetWare.
- Tech Talk 3 This article covers a few of the first-rate collaboration tools implemented at Novell to decrease travel, remove time and distance barriers, increase effectiveness and save time and money. Learn more now.
- Tech Talk 4 With BrainShare 2007 only four months away, it's time to start planning! Take advantage of early-bird registration, vote for sessions and find out what's new.
- Flow Graphing
- Proof Point Motorists Insurance Group needed a more flexible IT infrastructure to provide Web-based applications to its independent agents. Estimated costs for upgrading its mainframe were more than $1 million. Instead, the company created an open enterprise with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, reducing hardware and software costs by 50 percent.