USB and Removable Media Security
Extra security for even the smallest of removable devices
The amount of data that can be quickly copied to removable storage devices is increasing every day. While these devices can significantly boost productivity, they can also poke dangerously large holes in data security and control policies. Threats caused by these devices include:
- Malicious users copying large amounts of data with no audit trail
- Well-intentioned users misplacing or throwing away devices containing sensitive information
- Viruses or other malicious code being introduced to the network via contaminated devices
- Violations of HIPAA, SOX, GLBA or other regulations due to sensitive data being copied and transported unencrypted
Novell ZENworks Endpoint Security Management provides USB security features that allow administrators to protect corporate data and assets both inside and outside the corporate security perimeter with powerful solutions such as full disk encryption [coming in early 2011], personal firewall, and anti-malware [coming in early 2011].
With advanced, patent-pending, location-aware technology, ZENworks Endpoint Security Management enforces highly customizable storage device security policies on Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista machines. These policies are centrally managed, automatically distributed to users or machines, and continuously enforced—always and everywhere—without user intervention.
With Novell ZENworks Endpoint Security Management you can:
- Control usage of internal optical media and all types of removable storage devices, including:
- CD drives
- DVD drives
- USB thumb drives
- Floppy drives
- Zip drives
- mp3 players
- Permit or block access completely or limit the device to read-only access
- Enforce permissions based on the user's location
- Control the file system so devices that pose no security threat (such as a USB mouse) are not disabled
- Provide granular control of specific devices based on serial number
- Generate reports and alerts when allowable size thresholds have been exceeded
Novell ZENworks Endpoint Security Management Delivers Powerful and Granular Data Security
Storage device control. Novell ZENworks Endpoint Security Management provides administrators control over the use of local optical media (CD-R/W, DVD+/-R/W) and all attached storage devices (USB thumb drives, floppy drives, flash memory cards, zip drives, SCSI PCMCIA cards and other removable media types).
Administrators can set policy-based restrictions on device access privileges. This protects the integrity and confidentiality of data on the endpoints, while at the same time protecting the endpoint from the introduction of malware and of any other unauthorized activities.
Serial-number-based control. Novell ZENworks Endpoint Security Management delivers granular control over which devices are allowed, blocked, or set to read only. A separate utility is also available for capturing device names and serial numbers in a master list that can then be imported into a policy.
Protection against unauditable transactions. Novell ZENworks Endpoint Security Management protects against the introduction of local storage devices that can copy data without leaving an audit trail. These transactions are blocked by either completely disallowing use of such devices everywhere, or by disallowing their use based on an endpoint's network location. Storage devices can be placed in read only mode or fully disabled, while the endpoint hard drive and all network drives remain accessible and operational.
- Hardware Control - Disable Wi-Fi When Wired
- USB Device Management
- Encryption - Encrypt Data Written to Removable Storage Devices
- Storage Control - Enforce Read Only Access and Disable Removable Storage Devices
- Wi-Fi Security - White List Access Points by SSID
- VPN Enforcement
- Mobile device security Novell ZENworks Endpoint Security Management provides mobile security features that ensure that mobile devices outside your perimeter security are safe and secure. Read more
- Cisco NAC integration Novell ZENworks Endpoint Security Management fully supports Cisco's Network Admission Control (NAC) initiative. Read more