VMX, SVM, or other CPU flags missing after updating Xen
This document (7001447) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
Novell ZENworks Orchestrator
PC (x86-32 or x86-64) hardware supporting full hardware virtualization (HVM).
The Xen hypervisor (package xen) and/or the Xen-enabled kernel (packages kernel-xenpae and kernel-xen) were updated on a system running a SLE10 SP2 based product.
- The CPU capabilities stated in /proc/cpuinfo are missing flags which have been reported before, in particular the vmx flag (Intel CPUs), or the svm flag (AMD CPUs) is missing.
- It is not possible to install a fully virtualized system on appropriate hardware.
- When Xen live migration is set up, live migration may fail.
- When ZENworks Orchestrator is used, virtual machine images which require full virtualization may be marked as unavailable, or may be unable to migrate, with a ERROR: Host lacks HVM support being reported.
This issue is fixed as of version 18.104.22.168-0.33 of the kernel-xenpae and kernel-xen packages.
When live migration of a Xen VM fails due to this issue, a traceback similar to the following may be logged on the node on which the VM was running:
[2008-11-19 07:08:34 8011] INFO (XendCheckpoint:373) Save exit rc=0
[2008-11-19 07:08:35 8011] ERROR (XendCheckpoint:144) Save failed on domain
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/XendCheckpoint.py", line 122, in save
write_exact(fd, buf, "could not write device model state")
File "/usr/lib64/python2.4/site-packages/xen/xend/XendCheckpoint.py", line 43, in write_exact
XendError: could not write device model state
[2008-11-19 07:08:34 8251] INFO (XendCheckpoint:373) ERROR Internal error: error setting the HVM context
[2008-11-19 07:08:35 8251] INFO (XendCheckpoint:373) Restore exit with rc=1
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7001447
- Creation Date:29-SEP-08
- Modified Date:25-JUL-17
- NovellZENworks Linux Management
- SUSESUSE Linux Enterprise DesktopSUSE Linux Enterprise Server
Did this document solve your problem? Provide Feedback