Novell Client silent / non-interactive / system installation
This document (7008140) is provided subject to the disclaimer at the end of this document.
Novell Client for Windows Vista
Novell Client 2 for Windows Vista/2008
Novell Client 2 SP1 for Windows Vista
Novell Client 2 SP1 for Windows Server 2008
Novell Client 2 SP1 for Windows 7
Novell Client 2 SP1 for Windows Server 2008 R2
This means that the Novell Client installation program must be run interactively from the user's desktop, and Administrator rights will be prompted for and required if the user doesn't already have them. The extent to which the Novell Client installation can be made "silent" is only the extent to which the Novell Client installation program itself provides options to skip the language selection screen, skip the EULA screen, automatically reboot or not reboot afterwards, etc. To change the behavior of the install components (setup.exe, acu.exe, and cuagent.exe), open the install.ini file, located in the root directory of the Client build, make the desired changes, and save it. When the install components run, they read the file and change the appropriate behavior.
To prevent the "Would you like to install this device software?" prompt during the installation of the Client, install the Novell, Inc. certificate prior to installing the Novell Client. See Section 2.6.1 and Section 2.6.4 of the Novell Client 2 for Windows Administration Guide. Rather than using the CERTMGR.MSC wizard interactively as described in section 2.6.4, CERTMGR.EXE can be used to import the certificate, as follows:
- On a machine where the Novell Client is already installed, use CERTMGR.MSC or CERTMGR.EXE to export the Novell Client certificate (located in Certificates - Current User > Trusted Publishers > Certificates) to a file such as nwclient.cer.
- Copy the certificate to the location of the Novell Client installation set.
- From an elevated Command Prompt on the machine where the Novell Client has not yet been installed, execute the command:
certmgr.exe -add -c nwclient.cer -s -r localMachine trustedpublisher
This will add the certificate to the list of Trusted Publishers.
Note: CERTMGR.EXE is required, as CERTMGR.MSC does not offer an command line import option. CERTMGR.EXE is available from Microsoft.
- Configure the install.ini and NovellClientProperties.txt (using NCIMan.exe) as desired.
- Install the Novell Client either from the command line or using the graphical interface.
This Support Knowledgebase provides a valuable tool for NetIQ/Novell/SUSE customers and parties interested in our products and solutions to acquire information, ideas and learn from one another. Materials are provided for informational, personal or non-commercial use within your organization and are presented "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Document ID:7008140
- Creation Date:15-MAR-11
- Modified Date:01-FEB-18
- NovellClient for Open Enterprise Server (Client)
Did this document solve your problem? Provide Feedback