The Lumenation portal (middleware) is ready to use with many ready to use modules (systems/applications), however it also features a very robust SDK, LightBulb, which allows developers to create their own applications that utilize this environment very quickly. Download Brief Lumenation Technical Overview
What is the Lumenation Hyper-Portal?
Lumenation has created a new term in the portal technology industry: Hyper-Portal. This is a portal category definition that best describes the multi-dimensional capabilities of the Lumenation Portal. The Lumenation Hyper-Portal, and its unique multi-dimensional capabilities delivers the combined functionality of conventional Portals, along with Lumenation's industry defining extended set of robust features and functions. Lumenation's extended functionality supports a robust, browser based environment and framework which supports single enterprise (organization) or multiple enterprise hosting and management on a single Lumenation Server. The multiple enterprise hosting functionality is a perfect solution for Application Service Provider (ASP) \ Utility Computing deployments. Lumenation also features its own software development suite (SDK), LightBulb.
Lumenation SLES9 Linux Installation Instructions
In Linux, software installation has always been a point of contention. The new Lumenation Installer creates an extremely easy to use installation process for the installation of the server environment required to run Lumenation such as Apache, PHP, PostgreSQL, ionCube etc. The new installation software also checks to determine what applications may have already been installed, set appropriate configuration settings for system resources, checks for any missing software items and also checks dependencies. Once the system environment has been established then the already existing Lumenation software installer takes over.
The following is a step-by-step installation for Lumen Software's Lumenation. This installation procedure is only for Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 (SLES9). If you are installing Lumenation on another distribution of Linux or other operating system please use the Lumenation Manual Installation Instructions.
- Open YaST. Then select Software. Then select Change Source of Installation. Now add the HTTP Source with the following information;
- Server Name: software.lumensoftware.com
Anonymous: yes (default value)
- Server Name: software.lumensoftware.com
- In YaST select Install and Remove Software and search for "lumen". You will be displayed two packages "lumen-lumenation_setup" and "lumen_lumenation". If you want to configure Lumenation dependencies manually (this is where you will be shown where problems exist) then select the lumen-lumenation installation. If you want to use the GUI installer, install lumen-lumenation_setup (which will check if KDE is installed and if not it will install it).
- If you selected the lumen-lumenation_setup, use KDE to select Systemand then select Lumenation Setup. This will start theLumenation Installer whichwill install and check the configuration of all dependencies such as PostgreSQL, Apache, PHP, ionCube,etc.
- If you selected the lumen-lumenation manual configuration option,then open in your browser http://localhost/includes/setup.php it will guide you thru installation of Lumenation. The script will show you all problem areas and you will have to follow instructions how to correct them.
- After installation is complete (Step 3 or Step 4 above), you can login to Lumenation with login and password shown on the last step of the installation script. (Lumenation is always installed with Location = 1, User ID = admin, Password = admin. On first login it will ask you to register. Here you either pay for your Lumenation licenses or you may enter a promotion key if you have one.
- Once logged into your Lumenation system select from EzStartlist of applications, Host Utilities and then select Lumen Information. Here you can install additional modules for Lumenation by purchasing them or using your promotion key if applicable. Make sure that you always keep your Lumenation system updated. You may select the Available Updates application to examine and apply all Lumenation and Lumenation module updates.
Using a Promotion Key
In order to use a promotion key the user will also be asked to provide their first name, last name and e-mail address during registration.
YOUR PROMOTION KEY: G02-LIGHTBULB-T072105
The ability to access fast-executing, mission critical applications from a browser is truly powerful. Lumenation's desktop metaphor provides users with a common interface while at the same time allowing the creation of specific desktop definition files (zdi's), and auto lock-down functionality of the desktop is powerful as well.